Home Medical Equipment and Oxygen Safety
Documentation on using your HME and oxygen equipment safely.
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Getting Started
- Equipment Guides
- Medicare Guides
- Equipment Warranties
- Legal & Safety Information
- Use the amount of liter flow ordered by your doctor.
- Do not have open flames or burning tobacco in a room where oxygen is being used or stored.
- Post ‘No Smoking’ signs in your home.
- When you go to a restaurant with your oxygen source, sit in a section away from any open flame such as candles, warming burners, and fireplaces.
- Keep oxygen cylinders a minimum of 8 feet from heaters, heat producing and electrical appliances. Do not go near a stove while oxygen is on.
- Do not store oxygen containers near stoves, radiators, heat ducts, steam pipes or other sources of heat.
- Store oxygen cylinders in a secure stand or lying flat on the floor in a traffic-free area.
- Do not use oily or petroleum-based lotions, face creams or hair dressings while wearing oxygen.
- Use only water-based lubricants on your lips and hands. Never apply oily products such as Vaseline®, Blistex® or ChapStick® to your nose, lips or the lower part of your face.
- Never attempt to repair oxygen equipment yourself.
- Contact our agency if you plan to travel with your oxygen unit.
- Keep cylinders in a well-ventilated area, not in a closet or under a bed.